Saturday, March 18, 2017

Amuse in silk



One Thimble is a digital sewing magazine (you probably know it)  that is released four times a year and every edition contains several pdf patterns plus all kinds of sewing related articles and tutorials. I have already told you about One Thimble a few times before because I have showed you several patterns that I tested for contributing designers, like this and this one. Now that I have become part of the new One Thimble promotion team, I can show you even more of the awesome pattern database they have build up over their current 14 issues!



Today, I am showing you my second sew from the most recent issue, the Amuse*. The pattern is designed by Winter Wear Designs and it immediately grabbed my attention when it was released. I have been planning to sew myself more woven patterns (I blame her for this urge), and this one immediately entered the top 10 of my wish list upon release, I mean just look at that lovely detail on the front!. The Amuse can be sewn either as a dress, shirt or tunic. I went for the dress length, I just love not having to style/combine my garments with anything else.



The fabric has been waiting for selfish sewing for long. I bought it years ago, and I once cut into my large piece to make this blouse for my daughter, but I still had a good amount of fabric left. The silk is so delicate that I lined the bodice part instead of having a facing. I am wearing an under dress on these pictures to counter the possible seethroughness of the skirt part. I had to sew scraps together to be able to make the lining and the length of the lining was determined by the available fabric, now all is gone.


The silk is fraying a lot, so I had to carefully finish the seams. I was considering French seams, but even normal stitching is hard on this fabric (even with a new needle and the straight stitch sewing plate that I own). Recently I discovered my rolled hem foot (due to the instructions of this pattern). and I sewed most of the seams as rolled hems. The side seams, the raglan sleeves for example were all sewn and finished in one go through this. It made sewing this delicate fabric almost as comfortable as sewing jersey with a serger. I thought it  was a pretty smart move.


Although the weather was not that bad this week, it was  windy and there was no way that I could get nice pictures outside, so it was the white background again. I really am trying to increase my own modelling style and this time I tried accessories. My mother and me laughed our ass of on how I should "naturally" hold a plant on a picture, but I was not dissatisfied with the end result.



The Amuse is available as a stand alone pattern here*, or as part as One Thimble issue 14*.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Heel heel mooi! En wat moet dat heerlijk zitten in zijde. Ik heb een lichte haat/liefde voor naaisels in geweven stof. Vaak zo mooi, maar ook vaak net iets te gekleed voor elke dag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ik hoopte deze bij een bruiloft aan te kunnen, dus dan is het geklede juist optimaal ;)

      Delete
  2. This looks so good on you! Thanks so much for sharing your tips for sewing with the silk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful fabric and your sewing tips are great

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh heel leuk (al klinkt die stof wel erg beangstigend ;-) )

    ReplyDelete